Lately I’ve been thinking about how often we tend to make a task or project or process far more difficult than it needs to be.
Do you ever get frustrated when:
- You find yourself waiting in a long line and the person at the front is placing an unnecessarily complex order? Or…
- The person carrying out your service request is reciting back a time consuming list of company policies? Or…
- You are trying to find basic information on a website and it is nowhere obvious? Or…
- The assembly or installation instructions for a new product make NO sense to you whatsoever because they are overly complicated? Or…
- You can see a more efficient, effective, or streamlined way of accomplishing something at your job, but your boss stubbornly refuses to implement it?
I mean, wouldn’t it be wonderful to just wave your magic wand over the annoying or inconvenient or frustrating things in your life and have them suddenly just be easy!
A huge part of our human narrative is this notion that “nothing good comes easily” and if anything is to have lasting value to us then it MUST be difficult to achieve. The thing is, this is only partially true.
Fun Fact: We don’t have to make things more complicated in order to make them more valuable.
There are plenty of things in this life that are difficult, and there is great value in learning how to overcome our struggles. It’s how we become stronger, how we learn, and how we grow into more amazing versions of ourselves. This isn’t about those things.
This is about not wasting our energy on making the simple things difficult. This is about allowing ourselves to experience and enjoy the things in life that are easy. This is about removing the mental blocks we set up for ourselves that prevent us from achieving our greatness.
We can absolutely be appreciative of good things that come easily.
I invite you to try this mantra today: “I allow things to be easy.”
Which areas of your life are you creating more resistance or struggle in that you can simplify today?